Agree / Disagree
Agree / Disagree
To successfully write such questions, we need to follow a flow of mental preparation. Consider the question above and find answers to these questions:
What is my choice?
- Am I going to write that the internet is an absolute boon / blessing?
- Or, am I going to write that the internet is an absolute bane / evil?
In fact we cannot completely agree or disagree with any of them particularly. So what? A smart selection is now required. We have to agree and disagree – that’s all but how much?
- Agree 60% and disagree 40%? Or, Agree 40% and Disagree 60%?
How to Disagree?
- Start with a sentence or two in which you express agreement with the view you are going to disagree – View A.
- Using a contrast expression such as “however,” start questioning or doubting View A.
- Keep on lining up examples and evidences against View A.
- End with expressions such as, “This / therefore / It is therefore evident that -“
Sample Essay 1
Some people think that scientists experimenting with animals in a laboratory is the only way we can guarantee new products will be safe for human use. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
It is conspicuous that animals are being used in many laboratories to test newly discovered products. Some people opine that checking these items on animals would ensure safety of human beings. An introspection on the same reveals that it is true for many reasons.
Experimenting new products with animals is an age-old practice and it renders many benefits to the world of science and human beings. In many laboratories animals like rats, frogs and monkeys are nurtured and kept for testing purposes. These animals are used for finding the effectiveness of various products like drugs and cosmetics. For instance, hair dye manufactures test their products on the hair of monkeys at first. After that they closely observe monkeys for allergic reactions. Therefore, animals are preferred for such experiments by considering benefits.
First of all, animals are living organisms just like human beings. Animals have their own body mechanisms and they would also react to poisonous substances. If the products are tested on such living creatures, it would reveal many side effects. In many experiments several organisms die as a result of allergic shocks. Obviously, it is impossible to test products directly in human beings. Secondly, artificial cells and advanced software have only limited efficiency in such experiments as they have no life to respond. Therefore, the existing best way to test new products is with help of animals.
However, it is not always possible to guarantee safety of human beings because allergic problems would arise in people even after successful outcome in animals. For instance, a drug which is safe for one person can cause detrimental effect to another person. Therefore, relying fully on animals is not always desirable.
In conclusion, the most reliable method of testing new products is with animals. Eventhough the products are safe in animals, it might create allergic attacks in human beings on its use. In my opinion, no other methods would ensure safety than testing products in animals since they are living organisms.
Sample Essay 2
Some people think that we should choose a job based on the income in order to provide security for their families.
- Do you think that money is an important factor when choosing a job?
- What other factors should be considered?
In the modern times, many people believe that money is a significant factor while choosing a career since, they are responsible for their family needs. Although there are other factors involved in when a person takes up a job,in my opinion,money should be prioritized and it is important to meet up the basic necessities of life.
It is true that money is needed in this materialistic world to fulfill each one’s basic requirements. In other words, today people leads a standardized life comparing to the past, which demands a great amount of money. The lifestyle of Indians,for instance,has changed considerably over the past decade. Consequently, forcing the citizens to earn and save more to uplift the present lifestyle. Apart from this,status also plays an important role,which means a person who has luxurious house,vehicles,and other gadgets instantly helps him to earn a lot of respect from others. Therefore, when a person opt a career he intentionally look for the mandatory benefits.
Despite the above mentioned factors,other aspects of a job also should be given importance. After all, people need happiness to lead a peaceful life and passion towards one’s job destines one’s job satisfaction to certain extent. Moreover, peaceful working environment and personal safety are also mandatory to have a smooth career life. To illustrate, many MNC’s in Bangalore and other metro cities in India offer attractive remunerations,but sometimes they failed to assure their staffs personal safety. Such instances clearly prove that there are other factors which need to be considered while choosing a job.
In conclusion, many consider parks and other privileges are in the precedence when entering into a profession due to their responsibility towards family members. I agree that money is an essential factor in this modern age. However,there are other factors ,which should also be given importance.
Agree / Disagree
Today most people think that taller buildings and wider roads are landmarks of a country’s growth. To a certain extent it is because man is in search of more comfort and luxuries. However, there is a growing concern among the more advanced breeds of human beings and they have already started thinking in a reverse way.
For them growth of a country depends on much other factors other than mere technology and economy.
Agree / Disagree Main Content
Agree / Disagree Conclusion
Agree / Disagree Expressions
- For many, View A seems to be as true as daylight…
- Looking closely at View A, it becomes clearer that…
- This incorrect notion takes root in people’s mind due to…
- Looking at the other side of it…
- It is therefore evident / conspicuous…
- It can be argued that…
- As a result of which
- For this reason
- For example
- For instance
- To exemplify this,
- To illustrate this through an example
- In other words
- To put it in a more obvious way
- That means
Adding 1 + 2
- In addition to this,
- Not only A, but B is also
- As well as
- Adding to the ideas mentioned above,
- Under the light of
- On the other hand
- Contrary to what has been discussed earlier,
- In spite of
- In comparison
- Turning around and picking a few examples
- Taking a U turn,
- Expressing Opinion
- In my opinion,
- I have a couple of reasons to believe that
- In my view,
- I reckon that
- This is not the way I would have thought
- All that put in a fewer words
- In conclusion
- To conclude
- To sum up
- To recapitulate,
- Recounting the key ideas discussed above,
Agree / Disagree Essay – Questions
- Today many people believe that reconverting into village life is the need of the hour while a great many still think that urbanization should continue. To what extent do you agree with this?
- In the past, social media was considered as a medium of friendship and communication. However, in the recent years, the same has become a business tool to promote enterprises. To what extent do you agree with this?
- Children acquire most of their knowledge during the first 3 – 4 years. Under the light of this, many argue that letting children use mobile phones and computers during this time would help them learn better. Do you agree with this?
- Employers should give longer holidays to employees to encourage them to do their job well. Do you agree?
- The international community must act immediately to ensure all nations reduce the consumption of fossil fuel (gas and oil). To what extent do you agree or disagree.
- Nowadays, many medical research projects are funded by private companies.In your opinion, do you think that research should be carried by private companies, individuals or government?
- Some say that the most important thing about being rich is that one has the opportunity to help others. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- The restoration of old buildings in major cities throughout the world involves enormous expenditure. This money would bring more benefits if it was used to provide new housing and road development. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- People who read for pleasure have better imagination and language skills than those who prefer watching TV. To what extent do you agree?
- A growing population is a big problem in many countries. Should the government provide new homes in the cities or countryside?
- Stores should sell local food products and not the imported food products. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people say the Olympic Games are not relevant in the 21st century. Do you agree or disagree?
Advantages + Disadvantages
Advantages / Disadvantages Vocabulary
- Advantages + Examples (60%)
- Looking at the advantage side, it is evident that …
- This happens (causes) because of the …
- For example
- Again, ….
- This can be proved by …
- Another aspect is that …
- An example would be the recent happenings …
- Disadvantages + Examples (40%)
- Looking at the advantage side, it is evident that …
- This happens (causes) because of the …
- For example
- Again, ….
- This can be proved by …
- Another aspect is that …
- An example would be the recent happenings …
Advantages / Disadvantages – Questions
- Most people think that urbanization gives job opportunities for the masses while others think that urbanization is an evil that ruins the ecological balance of the earth. What are the advantages and disadvantages of urbanization?
- Some people think that the media (newspapers) have the right to publish details of people’s private life, while other’s think it should be controlled ? Discuss both views.
- Some people think money is the best gift to give youngsters, while others disagree. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Human activity has had a negative effect on plants and animal all over the world. Some people think that it is too late to do something about it. Others think that there is still time to take effective action. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
- As a country develops, people tend to buy more cars. Do the advantages for the individual outweigh the disadvantages for the environment?
- Some people think that advertising on TV is useful for viewers, while others disagree. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
- Today, many people want to get married and have children in their thirties rather than when they are younger. Is it a positive or negative development?
- Some people say that all students should study history as a major subject, while others feels that other subjects are important for children in today’s society. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
- Tourism is encouraged in many countries. Does tourism brings more advantages or disadvantages to a country?
- Some people think that reading on a mobile device is easier than reading books and magazines? What is your personal opinion?
Make a wise choice – Yes / No
Today reading habit has undergone a lot of changes, especially after the arrival of mobile phones. Earlier, people had to read in a book, magazine or in a newspaper but today the reading habits… In my opinion, reading on a mobile phone is far better and practical than reading from a book.
Give as many reasons to support your choice – Causes.
One of the most notable reasons is that people do not have time to sit and read from a book. With life style changes across the world, people do not carry books and newspapers in their hands. However, everyone carries a mobile phone, even into their toilets.
Give supportive examples (not from your experience!) – Facts & Lies.
As per a recent Swedish survey, more than 80% youngsters and more than 56% adults prefer to read from e-books that are available on mobile phones and tablets.
Give a few reasons for your not supporting the other choice.
On the contrary, reading from a book or newspaper has become a thing of the past. World Health Center says that man’s shift from paper to celluloid has saved more than a billion trees in the last ten years and that clearly indicates the need to encourage reading on mobile phones.
A few disadvantages of your choice and their solutions – Solutions.
However, reading on a mobile phone for a long period of time strains one’s eyes. It also invites dangerous cancers in turn. This can be solved only by upgrading to radiation-free devices and protective glasses.
To sum up, the habit of reading books and other useful information on a mobile phone deserves prime recognition and encouragement. This is a way to save the earth and to carry on with our thirst for knowledge in the changing world.
In terms of accommodation, people prefer to live together in colonies but not for living together. It is only for a sense of safety not for a need to share. What is your opinion?
Single Opinion Questions
Type 4 Single Opinion – Questions
Many parents believe that when their children read books for entertainment, they are wasting their time, and that they should read only serious, educational books. What is you opinion about this?
In countries where unemployment is high, education should only be obligatory up to primary school and not secondary school. To what extend do you agree or disagree.
Some people think that activities done in a person’s free time should be planned, while others disagree. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
Individuals should improve the environment or is it the government and large companies that should take action?
In recent days children are forced to study even in their leisure time. Is that a healthy practice? How far do you agree with this?
Some believe children should have activities organised for them during their free time, whereas others think children ought to plan their own free time. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
In many countries, children spend a lot of free time doing home work. Is it a good or bad? Give reasons and include examples.
Some people believe that it’s wrong to make students do homework everyday, there are others who think it’s good to let students study for extra time. discuss both views and give your opinion.
Some believe children should have activities organised for them during their free time, whereas others think children may plan their own free time. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
Some students tend to play computer games rather than do sports. Why is this? What can be done to tackle the problem?
Many museums and historical sites are mainly visited by tourists, but not local people. Why this is the case? What can be done to attract more local people to visit these places?
Local people do not go very often to museums or historical sites. Why is that? What can be done to change the situation?
Some people think that we should choose a job based on the income in order to provide security for their families. Do you think that money is an important factor when choosing a job? What other factors should be considered?
In the modern times, many people believe that money is a significant factor while choosing a career since they are responsible for their family’s needs. Although there are other factors involved in when a person takes up a job, in my opinion, money should be prioritized given its ability to meet up the basic necessities of life.
It is true that money is needed in this materialistic world to fulfill each one’s basic requirements. In other words, people today lead a comparatively standardized life which demands a great amount of money. The lifestyle of Indians, for instance, has changed considerably over the past decades, consequently forcing the citizens to earn and save more to uplift the present lifestyle. Apart from this, status also plays an important role, which means a person who has luxurious house, vehicles and a wide collection of gadgets instantly helps him to earn a lot of respect from others. Therefore, when a person opts for a career, he intentionally looks for the monetary benefits.
Despite the above mentioned factors, other aspects of a job also should be given importance. After all, people need happiness to lead a peaceful life. Passion towards one’s job destines one’s job satisfaction to a certain extent. Moreover, peaceful working environment and personal safety are also mandatory to have a smooth career life. To illustrate, many MNC’s in Bangalore and other metro cities in India offer attractive remunerations but somewhere on the way they failed to assure their staff’s personal safety. Such instances clearly prove that there are other factors which need to be considered while choosing a job.
In conclusion, many consider perks and other privileges in the precedence when entering a profession due to their responsibility towards family members. I agree that money is an essential factor in this modern age but there are other factors which should also be given due importance.
Introduction : The first paragraph is introduction. Be careful not to copy the lines in the question.
Once introduction is done, proceed to the four elements that make an essay. They are facts, causes, consequences / benefits and finally, solutions or suggestions.
Facts : Facts are the store of ideas you have about the topic. They include what, where, when and how.
Causes : Causes list out a number of factors that are responsible for an occurrence. For example, causes associated with global warming are deforestation and urbanization. Digging deep, you will find out more indirect causes. You need to list them all until the causes are no more relevant.
Consequences / Benefits
Solution / Suggestions
- Many people spend a lot of money on important celebrations such as weddings and birthday parties. Others believe that this is a waste of money. Discuss both points of view and give your opinion.
- Nowadays, we are living in a throw-away society. What are its causes and what are its problems? What could be done to address this issue?
- Some people believe that living in highrise apartment blocks make people lonely and unhappy. Others believe that there are advantages living in these places. Discuss both views and give opinion.
- There are some motives for people to work. Someone thinks money is the most important. Do u agree or Disagree?
- If a person is given a choice between life without work and working a lot. He would prefer to have a life without work. Do u agree or disagree?
Sports / Events
- It is very common that sports events are organized by big companies. Some people say it has benefits for sports world. Some other think that it has more disadvantages. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people think that watching sport is waste of time as in case of leisure activities. Agree or disagree? Write examples from your experience.
- Watching sport as a leisure is considered a waste of time by some people. do u agree or disagree?.
Education / Job
- learning history is considered a waste of time by some, some think otherwise. Discuss both views and give your opinion with relevant examples from your experience.
- The best way to reduce poverty in developing countries is to provide at least 6 years education for all child, so that children can learn how to read, write and use numbers. Agree or Disagree.
- In some countries, schools now make it compulsory for teenagers to do unpaid work in certain companies and institutions.To what extent it is beneficial for the teenagers and the companies or institutions.
- Companies allow workers to work at home. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
- Some companies think that sponsoring games plays a good role in advertising. Some people think sponsor is good in world of sports while other people say that it has disadvantages too.
- With the addition of more and more private cars every year, there has been some problems. Please write the problems occurring because of this and and solutions to these problems.
- Some people believe that the number of international travel will reduce in the future.Discuss the advantages and disadvantages.
- The responsibilty to prevent & reduce global environmental damage is for politicians than on Individuals. How far do u agree or disagree?
Entertainment / Cinema
Many people regard film as less important form of art than literature and painting. To what extend do you agree or disagree?
- Both the poor and the rich find the accessibility into university difficult. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some young people are leaving the countryside to live in cities and towns, leaving only old people in the countryside. What problems are caused by this issue? What can be done to solve this situation?
- In some countries, the number of people who visit art galleries is declining. What are the reasons for this? How can we solve this problem.
- Some people think that having people from different nationalities and cultural backgrounds living together in the same country makes the country develop faster. Do you agree?
- In many countries, women and men are working full-time. It is therefore, logical for women and men to share household tasks. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think that libraries are a waste of resources and money so computers should replace them. However, others do not agree. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
- Some people think that money is the best gift for teenagers. Others disagree. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
- Some believe that people who do physical work should be paid on par with the people who have high level degree. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think that secondary or high school student should be taught how to use money management as a it is an important life-skill, Do you agree or disagree with the statement?
- In some countries, children under 16 are not allowed to leave school by law and get full-time work. Is this a good or a bad thing?
- Nowadays, some parents pressure their children to be successful. What are the reasons for this? Is this a positive or negative development?
- In some countries, people follow the latest fashion and hairstyles. In your opinion, what is influencing this? Is this a good or bad thing?
- In many countries, people have health problems because they choose to live in unhealthy ways. What do you think the reasons for this and how can it be solved?
- Some people think that books should be stopped in school and that videos, films and computers should be used instead. To what extent do you agree?
- More and more developing countries are expanding their tourist industries. Why is this? Is it a positive development?
- Around the world it is likely that more adults will work from home and more children will study from home as computer technology becomes cheaper and more accessible.Do you think it is a negative or a positive development?
- Many families move to different countries. Some people think children can benefit from this, while others consider it is hard for children if families move to a foreign country. Discuss both views and your opinion.
- In some countries, secondary schools aim to provide a general education with a range of subjects. In others, it has a narrow range of specific subjects so students can focus on their future career. What system is more appropriate in today’s world.
- There are fewer controls over the designs and construction of home and office buildings. So , people can build them however they like. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages ?
- In some countries, there are many social problems involving teenagers. Some people say this is because parents spend much of their time at work and not at home.Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think that big international sporting events are not worthwhile for the host country. Do you agree or disagree?
- It is important to give children the chance to act independently and make their own decisions from early age. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this idea?
- People nowadays are used to disposable items meaning that they use things for short time and throw them away. What do you think is the cause of this and what problems can it lead to?
- Some people believe that team sports are very important for children to succeed in their career, others disagree? Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people think that to learn a second language well it is necessary to live in the country where that language is spoken.What is your opinion about this?
- International travel is becoming cheaper and more countries are opening their doors to increase the number of tourists. Do the advantages of increasing tourism outweigh the disadvantages?
- Many people think that money promotes happiness. What importance does money have regarding happiness?
- In some countries more and more shops are open longer hours every day. What are positive and negative developments of this?
- Many companies use advertisements to increase their sales. What are the main factors that make an advertisement effective? Is advertising a good thing or a bad thing for society?
- Some people think that the development of technology helps to reduce crime, while other people think it encourages crime. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
- Some people think the governments should increase the cost of fuel for cars and other vehicles in order to solve environmental problems. To what extend do you agree or disagree?
- In many countries, the government prohibits underage children from getting full-time jobs. Is it a good thing or bad thing?
- In many cities, young people prefer shopping as a form of leisure activity. Why do you think this happens? Is it a positive or negative development?
- Some people think studying in groups is better, while some think self study is better for school students. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
- Some people think that young people should follow older people’s examples while others think it is good for young people to challenge older people’s opinions and thoughts. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Nowadays, many people buy household goods( like television, rice cookers etc). Do you think this is a positive or negative development?’
- One of the best methods to motivate and encourage workers is to pay them according to what they produce or sell. Do you think this is the best method?
- People doing dangerous sports activities like scuba diving and bungee jumping should be responsible for their own life and rescue workers should not risk their lives to save people doing those sports. Do you agree or disagree?
- More and more people are becoming seriously overweight. Some people say that raising the price of fast foods will solve this problem. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Government money should be used to support children in school for sports rather than to support professional sports and arts that perform for the general public. To what extent do you agree?
- Many people are spending a lot of money on their weddings. Do you think this is a good thing?
- Not enough people realise the importance of natural world. What is the reason for people’s lack of awareness? How can people be made more aware?
- Nowadays parents are sending their children on trips abroad for educational purposes. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
- Many people today use their phones for sending texts more than talking. What are the reasons for this? Are there more advantages than disadvantages?
The scale of payment for workers with and without a university education remains a controversial issue and it is believed that regular employees with graduation – or post graduation – should be paid more than what others should be. However, in my opinion, remuneration needn’t depend on educational qualification, but on a person’s skills and dedication at work.
It is conspicuous that exorbitant amount of money is required to attain a university degree.