OCCUPATIONAL ENGLISH TEST WRITING SUB-TEST: Nursing
TIME ALLOWED: READING TIME: 5 MINUTES | WRITING TIME: 40 MINUTES
Read the case notes below and complete the writing task which follows.
Mrs Ava Fred Evans is a 72 years old patient in your care. She is now ready for discharge. She has just undergone a mitral valve replacement.
- Name: Mrs Ava Fred Evans
- Age: 72 years
- Admitted 25/05/2023
- Diagnosis: Valvular heart disease (Mitral valve prolapse)
- Reason for admission: Fainting, light-headedness, chest pain
- Widow; Lives with daughter Mira,
- No longer drives,
- Enjoys reading / doing crosswords, chatty, friendly
- Smoker for 55 years (Still).
- Chronic bronchitis
- Hypertension (150/100)
- Chest infections since retirement 12 years ago
- Valve Replacement
- Antibiotics/anticoagulant therapy
- Prescribed Warfarin BID
- Patient put on low salt diet
- Wear contact lenses
- Showering /dressing with help of nurses
- Slowly recovering from analgesics
- Able to walk/ stand-short periods of time
- Recovered from analgesia
- Showering and dressing with help of nurses
- Pt educated about causes/
- preventions of infections
- Pt advised to quit smoking/ given tips incl using patches.
- Pt was seen by dietician re low salt diet
- Able to walk for longer periods of times with walking stick.
- Pt recovering well
- Can now shower/ dress independently
- Still using walking stick/ frame
- Pt informed of discharge on 31/05/2023
- Vital signs unremarkable
- Discharge plan discussed with patient
- Discharged at 03.00 pm.
- Needs to rest
- Requires home help – to be visited by district nurse
- Patient to monitor medication usage
- Regular follow-up examinations
- INR – to be checked on regular basis
- Avoid invasive surgical or diagnostic procedures until prophylactic antibiotics are given
- Auscultatory assessment of heart
- Warfarin (anti coagulation therapy)
- Salpetrol 3 puffs daily; Mirax 25 mg daily
Using the information in the case note, write a letter of referral to Ms Cindy Chest (district nurse), who will provide follow up care in this case. Ms Cindy Chest, 45 Finders Lane, Melbourne, 300.
In your answer:
- Expand the relevant notes into complete sentences;
- Do not use note form;
- Use letter format
The body of the letter should be approximately 180–200 words.