Occupation English Test: Writing
READING: 5 MINUTES
WRITING: 40 MINUTES
Read the case notes below and complete the writing task which follows.
You are a nurse working at Plena Night Hospital, Belmont, Fitzroy North. The following patient is under your care.
Today’s Date: 10/10/2023
- Name: Ms Demi Brooke
- Age: 32 years
- Marital Status: Not Married (Lives with George Harrison (National Geographic Photographer).
- Admission Date: 10/10/2023
- Marine Photographer
- Not admitted to a hospital in the whole life;
- Emotionally not stable (Dx bipolar disorder (at 23) but not taking treatment.
- Smokes occasionally. “When smokes, the room explodes with smoke” (Reports husband)
- Teetotaller (20 years)
04 – 05 pm, 9/10/2023
- Stung by poisonous box jellyfish while photographing at a fishing area near Run Cliff.
- Fishermen rushed for help. Visible tentacles were carefully plucked using tweezers (not very clean).
- Affected skin was soaked in extreme hot water (120 to 140 F). Mild scalding occurred.
- Returned home (Patient averse to hospitalization).
- Had a hot shower for 30 minutes.
- Hydrocortisone cream applied twice at night.
10/10/2023, 03.00 AM
- Husband drove her to Plena Night Hospital, Belmont, Fitzroy North.
- HR 140; BP 120/139 RR: 29.
- Pain Management continued.
- Breathing difficulty.
- Chest and stomach pain, high blood pressure, pricking pain near the heart.
- Discussed the progress with the patient’s GP (who suspects a more complex condition called Irukandji syndrome)
- Asked to transfer the patient to Neighbourhood Hospital.
- The patient transferred at 4.15 AM to Neighbourhood Hospital.
Using the information in the case notes, write a referral letter to Dr Charan Koghar, Emergency Doctor, Neighbourhood Hospital, Belmont Road, Fitzroy North, requesting investigation and management for Ms Brooke.
In your answer:
- Expand the relevant case notes into complete sentences
- Do not use note form
- Use correct letter format
The body of your letter should be approximately 200 words.