Occupational English Test
WRITING SUB – TEST: NURSING
READING TIME: 5 MINUTES
WRITING TIME: 40 MINUTES
Read the case notes and complete the writing task which follows.
The patient was admitted after an attempt to suicide and is coming back to a notably normal state.
- Today’s Date: 19 September, 2023
- Hospital: Lyell McEwin Hospital
- Name: Martin Wilson
- Age: 62
- Admission Date: 09 September, 2023
- Discharge Date: 20 September, 2023
- Diagnosis: Attempted suicide — overdose of Mogodol.
Past Medical History:
- Heavy smoker (40 cigarettes/day).
- Bronchitis (multiple episodes).
- Underweight – 66 kg, BMI 18.
- Retired 2 years ago (book-keeper with Holden Car)
- Lives with wife, Joan, and adult son in Housing Trust, Elizabeth.
- Wife works at Coles, son unemployed.
- 2 married daughters and 5 grandchildren.
- Regular social drinker.
- Used to be a keen lawn bowl player.
- Depression related to gambling addiction
- Began gambling 2 years ago
- Has lost a lot of money including superannuation for debt.
- Wife and family previously unaware of addiction also upset about suicide attempt
- Patient remorseful and ashamed;
- Wants to overcome addiction.
- Has lost friends as result of gambling.
- Weak and depressed.
- Anti-depressants prescribed – Lovan 200 gm.
- BP 130/95
- Diagnosed with Type II diabetes.
- Diabetes education regarding diet and oral medications;
- Wheelchair use from 20/10
- Psoriasis on Torso and scalp – Diprosone OV cream 2x/day, Ionil T Shampoo.
- Poor appetite
- Physically unfit.
- Encouragement to maintain anti-depressant medication routine as the SSRI is established.
- Mrs Wilson will help with supervision.
- Monthly follow-up appointments with psychologist Dr Brian Murphy, Lyall McEwen Hospital.
- Social worker appointment to be made for gambling addiction therapy.
- Strong encouragement and assistance to join Gambling Addiction Action Group, Elizabeth Community Centre.
- Contact with Quitline needs to be encouraged.
- Wheel chair required for another week.
- Frame advised after this
- Maintain psoriasis treatment
- Maintenance of low GI diet for diabetes –
- Involvement of wife necessary.
- Encouragement in social sporting activities (eg: lawn bowls?)
Using the information in the notes, write a letter to the social worker, Ms Jennifer Adams, at the Elizabeth Community Health Centre, 125 Munno Parra Avenue, Elizabeth, 5098 requesting follow-up care. Stress that Mr Wilson’s case needs urgent attention.
In your answer
- Expand the relevant case notes into complete sentences;
- Do not use note form;
Use letter format