Occupational English Test
Reading Time: 5 Minutes. Should not write during this time.
Writing Time: 40 Minutes
You are a nurse at a boarding school. Jake Peterson is a male student at your school and has come to you complaining of hair loss and associated depression.
- Name: Jake Peterson
- DOB: 17.03.2005 (18 years)
- Address: Holly House School, Bembridge.
- Student at boarding school for past 8 years.
- Parents work & live abroad
- Father (male-pattern baldness-onset in 50s)
- Mother (depression-onset in 40s)
- Non-smoker, 20 units alcohol/week
- Karate black belt champion; swimmer
- Alopecia-hair loss from 13 years of age.
- Intermittent cycles (loss and regrowth).
- Etiology not confirmed (various possibilities. ?Depression)
- School clinic – presented with hair loss in patches; anxiety
- Onset: School bullying incident.
- Pt said ‘not a major thing.
- Referral to trichology specialist.
- Trichologist: No etiology established, possibly exacerbated by stress.
- Prescribed steroid cream (betamethasone dipropionate 0.05% cream 1-2x/day for 3 moths)
- Personality changes, aggression, sleep loss.
- Medication discontinued.
2018 – 2022
- No further hair loss; intermittent hair regrowth.
- Return of anxiety and pronounced hair loss.
- General health check ↑6 kg over last 2 months.
- Recommended Dr consultation Re hair loss, anxiety, weight loss.
- Jake reluctant. Sought natural remedies (homeopathy)
- Efficacy suspected yet Jake keen to try.
- Reports no results + cost implications of homeopathic treatment (kalium carbonicum and silicea) → Jake distressed, low mood.
- Problems forming/maintaining peer relationships.
- Affecting sports participation.
- Referred to school counsellor. Did not attend
- Check-up: + alcohol consumption, min 28 units/wk
2019 July – August, 2023
- Exam time-extreme anxiety (necessary to arrange separate exam room)
- Hair loss.
19 September 2023
- Jake concerned about transition to university shortly and independent living.
- Letter to university medical practice. Monitor. Organise special exam arrangements.
Using the information given in the case notes, write a letter to Mrs Monica Hendrik, a university practice nurse. In your letter, briefly outline Jake Peterson’s history and your concerns. Address your letter to Mrs Hendrik, Senior Nurse Practitioner, University of March Bank Health Centre, Hills Dune Rd, March Bank.
In your answer:
- Expand the relevant notes into complete sentences.
- Do not use note form.
- Use letter format.
Your letter should have a word count of 180 – 200 hundred words. However, the numbers can go up or down depending on the relevance of information.