OCCUPATIONAL ENGLISH TEST
WRITING SUBTEST: NURSING
READING TIME: 5 MINUTES; WRITING TIME: 40 MINUTES
Read the case notes below and complete the writing task which follows.
This new patient has been presenting for the last few weeks in King’s Hospital where you are the patient’s charge nurse. She has recently moved to be near family.
- Today’s Date: 20/11/2023
- Dulcie Wood; DOB 15.07.60
- Widowed January 16, three children, wants regular check-up.
- Has noticed uncomfortable feeling in her chest several times in the last few weeks like a heart flutter.
- Mother died at 52 of acute myocardial infarction.
- Now, non-smoker. Quit smoking ten years ago.
- Rarely drinks alcohol.
- Zocor 20 mg daily; Calcium Caltrate 1 daily.
- BP 145/75; P 80 regular
- 160 cm; Wt. 61 kg
- Cardiovascular and respiratory examination: Normal
- ECG: Normal
- Prescribe Noten 50 gm ½ tablet daily in am.
- Advise to keep record of frequency of fibrillation sensation.
- Review in 2 weeks if no increase in frequency.
- Reports sensations less but woke up twice at night during last 2 weeks.
- BP 135/75; P 70;
- Increase Noten to 50 gm daily ½ tablet am and ½ tablet pm.
- Advise review in 20 days – 1 month.
- Initial improvement but in last 3 days heart seems to be fluttery several times a day and also at night.
- Very nervous and upset.
- Wants a referral to a cardiologist Dr. Vincent Raymond who treated her sister for same condition.
- BP 180/90; P 70.
Discharge Plan / Action
- Contact Dr. Raymond’s receptionist and you are able to arrange an appointment for Mrs. Wood at 8 am on 21/11/2023
Based on your communication with Ms Nancy Plus, Dr Raymond’s receptionist, you have been able to arrange appointment for the patient. Now, prior to the appointment, write a letter addressed to Dr. Vincent Raymond, 422 Wickham Terrace, Brisbane 4001 describing the situation.
In your answer:
- Expand the relevant case notes into complete sentences
- Do not use note form
- Use correct letter format
The body of your letter should be approximately 200 words.