Connectors give your letter a flow. However, too many connectors or too few connectors will ruin the beauty of your letter.
Which connectors are okay?
|And||A + B (Both)|
|Or||A / B (Either)|
|But||B minus A|
|Hence||B as a result of A|
|Therefore||As a result of A|
|Additionally||In addition to A|
Avoid the use of the following connectors in OET letters to retain their formal appearance:
- Furthermore, Moreover, Besides, Meanwhile, So.
- Use “since (because)” instead of “As (because)”
- You can, however, use “as” but not too often.
- Avoid “as well as” at all places. You use “as well as” only when B is least important compared to A in the sentence: “A as well as B is required.”
Three Connectors that often do not confuse you (because you do not know their exact meaning).
|And||A and B are equal||Metformin and Warfarin can be administered.|
|Along with||A and B belong to the same context but are slightly different||Analgesics along with ice-packs are being provided.|
|As well as||Only A is relevant. B is not counted||The baby, as well as the mother, is being discharged.|
If you can remove the connector and the sentence still makes sense, then you are using a connector when one isn’t needed. Avoid this in OET when it is important to write efficiently without words the reader does not need.
- Never start a sentence with “And and But.”
- Avoid starting a sentence with “Or and Because,” if you can manage it.
- It is not wrong to start a sentence with Also!
Ready to Test? Based on the lesson you have learnt here, choose the correct answers:
- _______, Ms Lee has repeatedly exhibited traits of self harm.
- Mr Morgan’s general physician has not been able to diagnose his underlying condition, _________ this transfer.
- Ms Morgan’s general physician has not been able to diagnose her underlying condition, _________ she will be transferred today (2 correct answers).
- _______, Mr Parker’s mother will be arriving shortly to provide him care.