Today we are going to learn a new, powerful method that will help you start OET Letter Writing. We learn this because, in the examination hall, you may get nervous and so you can end up badly. Well, PPRRAADDWK is short for the following information you should find in a case notes. They are:
PPRRAADWK is another method to “look” for the information. What are they?
P1 Who is the Patient?
P2 What is the main Purpose?
R1 Who is the Recipient?
R2 What are the Requests?
A1 What was the Admitting condition?
A2 What was the Admission Date?
D1 What is the Discharge Date
D2 What is the Discharge Condition?
W Who is the Writer?
K – Is the patient Known to the recipient?
Now, let’s proceed to the Case Notes:
OCCUPATIONAL ENGLISH TEST
WRITING SUB-TEST: Nursing
READING TIME: 5 MINUTES
WRITING TIME: 40 MINUTES
Read the case notes and complete the writing task which follows:
You are an obstetrics nurse who visits the patient, a 20-week-pregnant woman who has difficulty traveling for routine visits. Today, during visit at noon, you detected symptoms of stillbirth / miscarriage (?) / placental abruption (?).
Today’s date: 04/09/2021
- Ms Maggie Stilton, 28 years.
- Ethnicity: African-American
- Husband: Eric Stilton, 30 years.
- No other babies.
Social & Habits
- Smokes and drinks alcohol (Very high till conception but then reduced to half)
- No recreational drug uses.
- Did not receive good prenatal care for a month.
- Mildly preeclamptic.
- Malnourished in the second month
- Slightly obese (BMI 29).
- Thyroid replacement therapy (2009)
- No infection diagnosed
Foetus response today (04/09/2021
- No heartbeat
- Has no pulsations (in the umbilical cord
- No voluntary movements for a duration of 1 hour (11.35 am – 12.40 pm)
- Fever and chills (Given paracetamol)
- Patient transferred to Mother and Baby Care Hospital, Sydney
- The recipient has been informed over phone:
You are Ms Alexa W Gomes, Ms Stillton’s obstetrics nurse home-visiting her in the last three weeks. Write a letter to Dr Arnold Woods, obstetrician-gynaecologist, New Orleans Mother and Baby Care Hospital, Sydney, requesting the confirmation of foetal wellbeing and to proceed to further procedures.
In your answer:
- Expand the relevant notes into complete sentences
- Do not use note form
- Use letter format
The body of the letter should be approximately 180-200 words.
Now, proceed further and identify the PPRRAADDWK: