ENGLISH MELON OET WRITING MOCK TEST
This is an information letter. If you would know how an information letter looks like, see now!
Reading Time: 5 Minutes
Writing Time: 40 Minutes
You are a school nurse. You have been asked to communicate with the parents of all the students and give them awareness about mobile phone addiction and health hazards of wireless devices such as mobile phones and tabs among children.
Today’s date: 18/09/2021
- Microwave radiations from the cell phones and other wireless devices are very harmful, particularly for children and unborn babies.
- Researches have proved that such radiations pose a greater risk for bodily damage in children and unborn babies.
- Rate of microwave radiations absorption ↑ in children > adults (brain tissues more absorbent, skulls thinner, relative size is smaller)
- Fetuses more vulnerable (microwave radiations exposure can lead to degeneration of the protective sheath that surrounds the brain neurons).
- Bone marrow of children absorbs ten times more microwave radiations than that of adults.
Hazards in children
- Low IQ & improper mental growth in children
- Sleep deprivation, brain tumors (?) and psychiatric diseases (?)
- Wireless and mobile devices give off high frequency electromagnetic fields.
- Impact especially on growing skulls of kids, toddlers and teenagers, (can trigger the development of brain cancer in the future).
- Brain tumors as glioma and acoustic neuroma.
- 75% of preteens and early teens keep all day their cell phones in their front pant pockets, which is way harmful for their reproductive health.
- 92% of world population has mobile phones today.
- 31% admit that they never turn off their mobile phones.
- More than 90% of parents provide their kids cell phones.
- ‘Phantom pocket vibration syndrome’ (a false feeling that cell phone is vibrating in their pockets when it’s not)
- They are more anxious and nervous.
- Missing a text message from other side feels like a real tragedy to them.
- Reducing overall usage of mobile phones, and shutting off cell phone’s vibration is a good way to combat and to deal with this syndrome.
- Staring on a small screen – a lot of strain on kids’ eyes – dry out and hurt when blinking – eventually, visual deterioration.
- Keep the device at least 12 to 16 inches away from the face.
Influence on the sleeping habits.
- Setting alarm on phone – keeping it somewhere not far from the head – under their pillow.
- Temptation to check the phone at night.
- Sleep deprived by vibrations and beeps.
- A healthy spine is one of the key factors of well-being during growing age.
- When our kids are slouching over a cell phone for most hours daily, they ruin their neck and back muscles.
- Pain, strain and aching neck muscles can cause a severe headache to make things worse.
- So eventually, they’ll feel like a wreck.
- Min distance from the device to body → 20 cm (about 8 inches, for iPads, laptop computers and tablets).
- Holding a cell phone a few inches away.
- A phone that is not turned off always radiates.
- When not in use, turn off / keep away.
- Keep a cell phone in a pouch, purse, bag, or backpack.
- Keep phones away from a pregnant woman’s abdomen.
- Do not use a cell phone while breastfeeding and nursing.
- Do not place baby monitors in an infant’s crib.
- Cell phones should not be permitted in children’s bedroom at all.
To keep our children healthy, it’s time to decide, that we should not allow our kids to overuse cell phones and other wireless devices.
Prepare a letter to be sent to each parent/s. Majority of the students hail from villages, their parents work in mines. Make sure that your language is least clinical which may obstruct the recipient’s power of comprehension. Include only relevant information.
In your answer:
- Expand the relevant notes into complete sentences.
- Do not use note form
- Use letter format
The body of the letter should be approximately 180–200 words.