John Travolta – Case Notes
- March 4, 2023
- Posted by: English Melon
- Category: OET
OCCUPATIONAL ENGLISH TEST
WRITING SUBTEST : NURSING
TIME ALLOWED : 45 MINUTES
READING TIME : 05 MINUTES
WRITING TIME : 40 MINUTES
Read the case notes and complete the writing task which follows
Mr John Travolta is a 69-year-old patient on the ward of a hospital in which you are Charge Nurse.
- Patient Details
- Marital Status: Single
- Admission Date: 19/05/2020
- Discharge Date: 23/05/2020
- Diagnosis: Right Hip Fracture
- Lives alone. Employed as a civil engineer until retirement aged 65
- Cousin Mr Luke- supportive – visits regularly
- ambulatory – use of a cane
- 2009 – Hypertension (ongoing management)
- 1985 – Colles fracture, ORIF
- 1983- Appendicitis – operated.
- Ramipril 5mg OD
- Brought to emergency department after slipping on the ice
- reports right hip pain, inability to bear weight
- Physical examination of the right leg – positive log roll test and pain with range of motion
- X-ray – displaced subcapital femoral neck fracture of the right hip
- Surgery – unipolar hemiarthroplasty (19/05/2020)
- Hemodynamically stable.
- Physiotherapy therapy started.
- Weight-bearing exercises as tolerated
- Medications : low-molecular-weight heparin and analgesics
- Nutritional supplements – surgery to improve protein levels and caloric intake
- Tolerates physiotherapy
- Improvement in mobilization
- Able to walk short distances with walker
- Interdisciplinary care program – discharge planning, rehabilitation, and posthospital services
- Progress discussed with cousin.
- Wishes to continue physiotherapy at home.
- Wound dressing done. No SSI.
- Preserve skin integrity
- Continue exercise program
- Wound monitoring
- Education regarding importance of physiotherapy and good nutrition
- Report if there any complications
- Follow up after 3 weeks
Using the information given in the case notes, write a letter Mr Travolta’s GP, Dr Jules Winfield, St Peaks
hospital, Brisbane, Australia. In your letter, briefly outline the patient’s clinical condition and progress.
In your answer:
- Expand the relevant notes into complete sentences
- Do not use note form
- Use letter format
The body of the letter should be APPROXIMATELY 180-200 words.