Task 1 Preposition
Words that show the position – Prepositions.
- The patient was going across the road when the accident happened.
- Ms Shallot placed a wet napkin across the baby’s forehead.
- he was told about this but Ms Lee paid no attention.
- Kindly remind the patient to keep her arm above her head while bathing.
- She requires ongoing care and support at your service throughout her pregnancy.
- Upon admission, his vitals were abnormal.
Despite / In spite of
Do not write “of” with despite. Both are same in meaning.
- Despite a second attempt to conceive under the most favorable circumstances, she failed.
- In spite of a second attempt to conceive under the most favorable circumstances, she failed
- Renal insufficiency and hypercholesterolemia were confirmed through blood investigation.
- During hospitalization, a series of CBT counselling were initiated through a Chinese mental health worker.
- More importantly, I would like to inform you that chickenpox is a highly contagious viral infection which is caused by Varicella Zoster virus and can be transmitted through / via droplets.
- Furthermore, an extensive abnormal hyperintense signal on the frontal, parietal, temporal and occipital lobes were seen through the periventricular and subcortical white matter.
- I am writing to refer the above mentioned patient who gave birth to triplets through a caesarean section in our center.
- Khalifa got admitted to our facility through the Children’s Emergency Department on 28th of this month.
- Alice lives with her siblings and her mother who works full time as a bank manager.
- I am writing to refer Mr Mostafawy who is diagnosed with liver abscess.
- Today, Mr Gahtani was admitted with suggestive symptoms of myocardial infarction and [the same] was confirmed in [on] chest X-Ray and ECG.
- Mrs Ramamurthy was admitted to the hospital on 18th of this month with the complaints of sudden onset of pain in the abdomen in the right iliac fossa.
- Mrs Ramamurthy lives with her husband and depends on outside foods due to her busy work.
- Regarding Ms Bell’s social history, she lives alone without any contact with family and friends.
- It is my pleasure to assist you with any information regarding the patient without any delay.
- As a result of this, he was having persistent coughs without any signs of hemoptysis.
- He is independent and maintains his daily activities without assistance.
- Consequently, treatment was commenced on IV antibiotics under conservative management.
- On today; on yesterday; on tomorrow.
No need of prepositions before the following adverbs:
- Out of state
Do not use prepositions with:
- Every year, month, everyday
5. Speaking Task
Setting – Home Visit
You have been a diabetic for a number of years and have managed your diabetes with diet and tablets. However, your doctor wants you to start having insulin injections and has asked the district nurse to visit you at home to teach you how to give yourself these injections. You don’t really understand why you have to have insulin injections. Also you are very nervous about the procedure of injecting yourself.
Ask the nurse why you have to have insulin injections, stressing that you feel you have been managing your diabetes well.
When the nurse is explaining the procedure for giving the insulin injections, show that you are anxious about it.
A general practitioner has asked you to visit a patient who has diabetes. Until recently the diabetes has been moderately well controlled by diet and oral medication. However, recently the patient’s blood sugars have been high and the doctor has decided to commence insulin injections. the doctor wants you to show the patient how to give himself/herself the insulin injections. On arriving at the patient’s home you find that he/she is very unsure why he/she needs insulin injections and very nervous about the procedure of administering the insulin.
Explain to the patient, when requested, why he/she needs insulin injections.
Explain slowly and clearly the whole process of giving the injection (including using clean needles, administering the injection, sites for injection etc.)
- Try to reassure the patient that he/she will be able to manage the injections.
- Emphasise the importance of safe needle disposal (suitable containers, proper care and handling).