Let’s look at a sample letter. Here is the question.
Write a letter to the Sales Manager, MMS Books, Ashok Vihar, Delhi, placing order for five titles of books that you need for educational purpose. You are Sanjeev/Sanjana, 12/CA, Model Town, Kurukshetra.
12/CA, Model Town
Kurukshetra, Punjab – 0112
Delhi – 88
Subject – Placing Order
Thank you for your prompt reply to our previous letter of inquiry dated 20 November 2017 with reference number 56B/2017. A panel of our firm has studied your brochure and price list and feels satisfied to place an order for the same. The following chart describes the products we intend to buy along with the author, quantity, etc.
|Modern Eco||Dr. Singh||35||2015|
|Business 2016||Mathew MN||40||2016|
|Mental Disoreders||Dr. Yashank B||55||2013|
|Ageing in 30s||Ruchir Dua||66||2015|
Kindly be reminded that each of the title carries 20% student discount and 5% winter sale discount. As per our earlier communication, we have requested to send only books without binding. Also, make sure that every single book is devoid of any kind of printing-binding-packing defect. The total amount of $ 1200 will be paid at the time of delivery.
Depending on the order you are going to place, the content needs to comply with them.
How to Write a Letter Placing Order
- Paragraph 1 – Start the letter with what you have learnt about the company and its products.
- Paragraph 2 – Draw a table and include “Order Number”, “Item name” “Item quantity” “Other Specifications.”
- Paragraph 3 – Refer to how, when, where you would like the delivery to be made.
- Close the letter with how you hope for the delivery, etc.
- “This is with reference to the inquiry letter dated 12th March 2018, regarding the purchase of silk thread.”
- This is a follow up of our communication on 12th March and then on 21st March regarding a bulk purchase…”\
- With reference to…
- Your letter of November 12
- Our meeting on September 3, ….
- Our conversation last week, ….
- Further to our telephone conversation yesterday, ….
- Following our discussion last week….
- Following our meeting last Thursday….
- I refer to your letter of August 17 in which you….
|1||Denver Duo||1200||200 Gms|
|2||Colgate Gold||300||100 Gms|
- We have already made 50% of the payment at the SBI today at 12.20 PM.
- Hope to receive the order delivered on or before 22nd of this month.
- Kindly refer to the agreement on post delivery services such as clearance and stocking.
- Please find enclosed/attached:
- Receipt of the bank-payment
- Copy of your brochure’s table of content page, etc.
This is how a letter placing order ends. Do not forget to write the sender’s address, date, receiver’s address, subject and salutation before paragraph 1 and “Yours truly” and the name of the sender at the end.
12 B, Gem Advertising
Al Wahab Street, Doha1 March 2014The Manager
Printing and Packing Section
Abu Hamour, Doha
Subject – Placing order for bulk printing work
This is with reference to our previous communication regarding the print work of three books. The details are given below:
|1222||Nose and Lips||12×16||Hardcover||343|
We hope you would complete the printing jobs within a week’s time with all binding, cropping and additional works included. Kindly note which books get a hard cover and which one gets a paperback. All the books are black and white and the sizes are well mentioned. Any delay in the completion would cause serious damage to our reputation in the industry as our clients are from royal families here in Doha and Dubai.
We have already made an advance payment of $2300 at the Doha Bank and the remaining payment will be made at the time of the completion of the work. We hope to get the books delivered in time.
You are Mohan Bhagat, Eureka Forbes, NOIDA. You have received the reply to your inquiry letter from Woddcutters Inc, dated 2rd March, 2015. You feel positive about the company’s terms and conditions. Write a letter placing order for the furniture that you have mentioned in the previous communication.
Gandhi Road, NOIDA -223344
Phone – 9898989898, 011-223344 | email eurekaplusmail.gmail.com
2nd March 2015
The Sales Manager
3/C, Woodcutter’s Inc
Janakpuri, Delhi 112233
Subject: Placing order for furniture
This is a follow-up of our previous communication, ref. no. 24/ERQ-2015. Thank you for your timely response and concern. We would like to place an immediate order for the following sets of furniture.
|Code No.||Name of Article||Material||Quantity|
|2276||Sofa||Steel & Wood||02|
As per our communication, we are sending a demand draft for Rs. 15,000 as advance payment. The rest of the money will be paid at the time of delivery. Kindly comply with our agreement statements. We hope to receive the purchase in three working days.
Mohan Bhagat, Asst. Engineer
Questions for Practice
- Write a letter to Steel House, Rawalpindi, Punjab, placing order for steel utensils for your new home at Rawalpindi, Punjab, Pakistan. You are Abu Malik, 343, Old Fort Road, Rawalpindi.