Task 1. Subjects
When you start a sentence, make sure that it has a subject, a verb and (not necessary) an object. A subject is either a noun or a pronoun and it usually comes at the start of a sentence.
Nouns as Subjects
- Global warming is a serious issue today.
- Landslides are more common today than they were in the past.
- The line chart presents the growth of unemployed population in India.
- Finding a suitable tourist place is not very hard today.
- No arguments but smoking is an antisocial activity.
- Governments of every country should completely ban smoking.
- There are several disadvantages.
Pronouns as Subjects
- It is a serious issue today.
- They are more common today than they were in the past.
- It presents the growth of unemployed population in India.
- It is not very hard today.
Questions for practice.
Underline / tick correct subjects:
- It harms the body.
- Children like to play.
- Parents should encourage children to play outdoors.
- Indoor games are more feasible in adverse weather conditions.
Finding Subjects in Passive Sentences
- Many children are forced by employers to do dangerous labor in factories.
- The growth of unemployed population in a country is presented by the line chart.
In the examples above, ask who or what and find out the subjects:
- “Who” force “many children” to do dangerous labor? – “Employers” (So, “employers” is the subject)
- “What” present ‘the growth of unemployed population in a country?’ – “The line chart” (So, the line chart is the subject)
Practice Questions – Correct the following sentences:
Salary scale is depend upon the worker.
- Grammar → “Salary scale depends upon the worker.
- Fact → “Salary scale depends upon the efficiency of the worker and the ability of the employer.”
A fewer argues that a high salary is the most outstanding of a country.
While others consider that the government put a restriction to earn salary of workers at a certain level.
- Grammar → A fewer argue that a high salary is the most outstanding of a country. While others consider that the government should put a restriction to earn salary of workers workers’ salary at a certain level.
- Fact → As per fact, “salary is not the most outstanding ….”. There are many other factors. “Salary is an outstanding…” is correct here.
- Organization → A fewer argue that a high salary is an outstanding of a country while others consider that the government should put restriction to earn workers’ salary at a certain level.
- Vocabulary → A fewer people argue that a high salary is an outstanding expense of a country while others consider that the governments should place restriction upon workers to earn salary at a certain level.
Theme – Monuments & Tourism
- Monuments are standing evidences of the past glory / grandeur.
- Letting tourists wander into pristine landscapes is catastrophic.
Task 1 – Writing Task 1
The chart below shows the racial divide over Robert E. Lee Statue. Write a report in around 150 words.
Subjects in Task 1
- The chart presents the difference between the contribution made by students and teachers in a college to raise funds to renovate a monument.
- Students contributed 30% of the fund while teachers did only half of what students had contributed.
Writing Task 2
Although every nation is encouraging tourism, the same is destroying the beautiful landscapes, forest wealth and water bodies due to man’s consumerist approach. To what extent do you support this view?
Task Tips & Vocabulary
- Understand the question.
- Start with the good side of tourism
- Come to the unseen side – progress to the various ways tourism is destroying the nature – plastic waste – tenting and shelter for tourists – firewood – deforestation – playgrounds.
Subjects in Task 2
- People like to travel.
- Children like to play.
- People’s daily expenses are rising.