OCCUPATIONAL ENGLISH TEST
Writing Sub-Test – Nursing
Reading time – 5 minutes
Writing time – 40 minutes
Read the case notes and complete the writing task which follows.
Today’s Date: 03.09.2023
You are a registered nurse in the Coronary Care Unit in charge of the patient;
- Patient Name: Derek Shepherd (Mr) (Patient)
- DOB: 13 September 1976
- Address: 108 Queen Street Melbourne
- Admitted: 26.08.2023
- Date of discharge: 02.09.2023
- Diagnosis: Obstructive coronary artery disease
- Operation: Coronary artery bypass grafts
Social, Occupational, Lifestyle
- Lives alone in own home
- Works as a Business Development Manager at a bank
- Constipation (occasionally) isabgol for relief
- Smokes 5-6 cigarettes/day
- Alcohol: 2 x 300 ml bottles beer/day
- BMI- 29
- Dietary habits: Sausages, deep fried chips, pizzas, pastas,
- Allergic reaction to nuts
- Severe chest pain, extreme tightness in chest
- Diagnosed with Obstructive Coronary artery disease
- Operation coronary artery bypass grafts (27.08.2023)
- Routine postoperative recovery
- Constipation related to decrease response to urge to defecate secondary to surgical procedure
- No stool for 2 days
- Given isabgol for constipation
- Low fat diet commenced
- No complaints of constipation
- Explained post discharge instructions (resume work after 4 wks., avoid travelling/strenuous exercises till 6 wk., follow-up after 6 wks., medications)
- Counselled on changes to lifestyle (cease smoking- referred to Quit line, decrease alcohol, reduce weight, low-fat diet, exercise regime)
- Worried about future
“I don’t know how I will cope with my job and finances, I might be fired if I don’t go to work for a month” – refer to Cardiac Rehab. S/W for support.”
- Wound healing well – daily dressing change.
- Educated re smoking cessation – referred to Quitline
- Educated re decreasing alcohol
- Low fat diet (continued)
- Medications: Aspirin ½ daily, Vicodin q4
- Ready to Return Home.
- Avoid strenuous activities, travelling till 6 wks., resume work after 4 wks.
- Follow-up visit after 6 weeks.
- Refer to District Nurse (wound management, monitor medications, diet, temp.)
- Low-fat diet after discharge
- Requested more information on simple low-fat recipes that can be prepared at home.
- Refer to local Social Worker at Cardiac Rehab. for support to pt. for applying leave from work, financial assistance.
Write a letter to Addison Burke, Dietician, Suite 1, 348, 5th floor, Church Street, Melbourne.
In your answer:
- Expand the relevant notes into complete sentences
- Do not use note form
- Use letter format
The body of the letter should be APPROXIMATELY 180-200 words.