OCCUPATIONAL ENGLISH TEST
Writing Sub-Test – Nursing
Reading time – 5 minutes
Writing time – 40 minutes
Read the case notes and complete the writing task which follows.
Today’s Date: 15/8/2023
You are a nurse working in the Windon International Hospital, Sydney. A patient, Mr Ullrich has been admitted to your unit from the emergency department, after a car accident.
- Name: Mikkel Ullrich
- Age: 69 years
- Marital Status: widower
- Admission Date: 6/8/2023
- Discharge Date: 15/8/2023
- Diagnosis: fracture of tibia and fibula
Social, Economic, Psychological Background
- Lives in Windon, Rental flat.
- Income: Retired school teacher
- Primary care giver: Son (Jonas)
- Financial difficulties ++
- Applied for aged pension
- Episode of depression after wife’s death.
- Lack of socialization (has few friends).
Admission details: 6/8/2023
- Reason: Leg fracture – Road traffic accident
- Multiple injuries +++
- Severe blood loss. 3-unit pcv transfused
- Left leg below knee amputation done
- Moderate fever;
- Antibiotic dose increased
- Pain 7/10
- Fever +++ Paracetamol 500 mg given.
- Persistent pain. Wound dressing done.
- Afebrile, physiotherapy started.
- Occupational therapy + psychological counselling given.
- Dressing done.
- Ready to be discharged.
- Wound dressing + wound clean and dry.
- No signs of infection. ? Depressed
- Social worker reference for assistance and continuation of services at home.
- Home modifications
- Need Walking aids and toilet raiser
- Continue physiotherapy and occupational therapy after discharge
- Wound dressing daily – community nurse
- Follow up after 14 days
- Connect to local support groups
Using the information in the case notes, write a referral letter to Mr Noah Tiedman, social worker, Adams street, Windon, Sydney.
In your answer:
- Expand the relevant notes into complete sentences
- Do not use note form
- Use letter format
The body of the letter should be APPROXIMATELY 180-200 words.