Look at the Role Play Cards:
ROLE PLAYER’S CARD
Patient: You are a patient who is recovering from a minor knee fracture. A nurse visits you in the morning to deliver your breakfast. You want to know when you can get discharge from the hospital as you are a student who has exams next month.
Ask your nurse:
- When you can go to your home
- How you can recover from this knee fracture (time duration)
- Is there anything you can do to bring improvement in your present condition…..?
CANDIDATE’S CARD – Nurse
You are a nurse talking to the patient who is recovering from minor knee fracture. The patient asks you of when he / she can be able to go home as he / she has exams next month.
As a nurse, assure him / her that:
- He / she will be alright soon
- He / she can take the exam as well; and,
- Advice him / her of the importance of taking medicine on time
- Suggest some easy exercises that will help bring some improvement in his / her knee
Mr Parker: Good morning, Ms Green. Eh, yes, it is time I got a discharge. I wonder what is delaying my discharge.
Nurse: Mr Parker, as you can see, your discharge is being delayed for a while. I hope to see you off in two days.
Mr Parker: Two days? Are you kidding, Nurse? Why?
Nurse: I understand, Mr Parker, that you are having a little hard time here, but it is important that you get well fully!