This case notes will be used for writing today’s letters for correction. Before you proceed to writing this letter on the writing page, please read this case notes and answer the questions that below:
OCCUPATIONAL ENGLISH TEST
WRITING SUB-TEST: Nursing
TIME ALLOWED: READING TIME: 5 MINUTES | WRITING TIME: 40 MINUTES
Read the case notes below and complete the writing task which follows.
Today’s Date 09/09/09
You are Simmy Joseph, a registered nurse in the Coronary Care Unit, St Andrews Hospital Brisbane. Felix Seastine is a patient in your care.
- Name: Felix Seastine
- DOB 12 January 1956
- Address 9476 Old Dam Road, Blessham Q4390
- Next of Kin Brother, Invictus Seastine, 72 Burke St, New Liverpool Q4490
- Admitted 2 September 2009
- Diagnosis: Obstructive coronary artery disease
- Operation: Coronary artery bypass grafts (x 4) on 4th September.
- Never married
- Lives alone in own home just outside Blessham
- Online business – home delivery – helped by brother and his three daughters
- Currently out of business due to lock-down and red alert in Blessham.
- Likes reading travel journals.
- Smokes 20 cigarettes/day
- Alcohol: 2 x 300 ml bottles beer / day
- Ht 170 cm Wt 99 kg
- Usual diet: Sausages, deep fried chips, eggs, burgers, KFC and occasionally rice pudding.
- Allergic reaction to nuts and oily food
- Warty face due to excess acne; depressed about it.
- Excess Testosterone; tried hormone reduction medication
- Uses face-creams and washes face over 50 times a day (he has OCD?)
Nursing Management and Progress
- Routine post-operative recovery
- Advised to cease smoking, reduce alcohol (he says he cannot)
- On low fat diet (resists and demands food high in fat)
- Walks well
- Wounds healing well
- Routine visit from Social Worker
- Returning home to Blessham today.
- Appointment made for follow up visit to local GP Dr. Cinderella Austin, 2 pm 15/9/09
- Local physiotherapist to continue rehabilitation exercise program.
Mr Seastine has requested advice on low fat dietary guidelines and healthy simple recipes along with “more practical advice” on managing acne on face. Write a letter to the Community Information Section of the Wells Foundation, Wimbledon Avenue, Brisbane on the patient’s behalf. Use the relevant case notes to explain Mr Seastine’s situation and the information he needs.
Include Medical History, BMI and lifestyle. Information should be sent to his home address.
In your answer:
- Expand the relevant notes into complete sentences
- Do not use note form
- Use letter format
- The body of the letter should be approximately 180–200 words.
Now, proceed to the questions below and see your score: